Sunday, November 30, 2008

Rip-Mix

I began reading Wil Richardson's Blog entry called "Reading to Find: Rip-Mix Classrooms" and found myself following a path similar to what Richardson was describing.  Initially I thought Richardson's focus was on a tendency that a lot of us might be guilty of; reading on the web and getting carried away by a link flow and stumbling onto something that really interests us.   Specifically, reading on the web and becoming interested in a link and following it away from the original article before finishing reading it in it's entirety. Instead his intent was to show evidence that this method of web reading can be a good thing.  What followed was Richardson's account of his trail to finding the Rip-Mix Classrooms group and a few quick comments regarding their goal.  As I read Richardson's blog I was tempted to following many of the hyperlinks that he inserted throughout the article.  I held off these urges in direct contrast to the reading method he was promoting and finished reading the entire article.  After reading I followed the link to learn more about the Rip-Mix classrooms.  The people in this group collaborate and share recordings and notes on lectures for various courses with peers.  There is an obvious benefit for the majority and overall education of those involved.  However,  the major concern I can see professors would have with this practice is the sharing of exams, tests, and quizzes.  The group members encourage participants to contribute past assessments.  I am sure many professors recycle these and would not be thrilled with this idea.


No comments: